Thursday, November 4, 2010

Trauma & The Brain


This weekend is dedicated to finishing my research paper on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was happy to get this topic because I've done lots of research and papers on PTSD, trauma, and the brain. Also, I have recently read a book called, "The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog", Child Psychiatrist Bruce Perry really grabs readers with his stories of the children he works with. He describes how trauma effects the development of a child's brain and completely alters the brain's chemistry. He brings up ethical dilemmas and is very humble in admitting his own struggles and not always knowing what to do - something I really admire. Something I found so interesting was: he uses art therapy without even knowing it. In order to get on the same level as these children who are very scared and intimidated by adults, strangers, and all men in some cases. He uses art, while sitting on the floor, drawing with these children in the first sessions, to gain comfort, trust, interest, etc. Something that just cannot be done instantly through talking. Okay, back to my paper!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...